Traffic Light Trigger (Neodymium Magnet)

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by ScoutFan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. ScoutFan

ScoutFan New Member

This is an inexpensive magnet installation to trigger traffic lights that have an inductive loop in the pavement and help alleviates the waiting and waiting.

This article on WikiHow pretty much covers it how a magnet helps for motorcycles.

Anyhow, on to how to add this feature to a Scout in an elegant fashion.

Ingredients:

Magnet:
    1ea Neodymium magnet with counter-sunk holes for #6 screws. I bought seven (2 for me, the rest for friends) from CMS Magnetics.

Mounting hardware:
    Use stainless, since it has enough strength to tighten down well without a lot of ferrous metal to frustrate you when installing. I bought from ACE Hardware.

2ea #6 stainless steel counter-sunk screws.
    ACE Hardware numbers: 44026-B (44057-B) UPC: 008236727791

2ea #6 stainless steel locking nuts. ACE Hardware 59549 (H829708) UPC: 008236142297

2ea #6 stainless steel washers: ACE Hardware 59580 (H830662) UPC: 008236142778

Mounting:

Pop off the radiator shroud. There's a few threads in the regular Scout forum on How-To.

Drill a couple of #6 holes in the bottom of the shroud, low enough the magnet won't be see too easy but not too close to the trailing edge. Mount the magnet thus:

traffictrigger01-jpg.jpg

traffictrigger02-jpg.jpg

Re-install the shroud.
    Yes, it's this simple. This thing works a treat, and I get all the green arrows now.

Mr.McCruzer likes this.
  2. Mr.McCruzer

Mr.McCruzer New Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mr.McCruzer

Mr.McCruzer New Member

Thanks for this. I have got to try it. There are a few lights in my town that are soooo frustrating. Perhaps this might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris likes this.